- [December 2008] The December 2008 issue of WIRED magazine has a story about Polaris' 2008 match against the Stoxpoker pros, told in comic book format: Ante Up, Human: The Adventures of Polaris, the Poker-Playing Robot
- [September 2008] With the summer competitions finished, the CPRG has been writing papers to present the research that created Polaris. The most recent paper, "Strategy Evaluation in Extensive Games with Importance Sampling" was presented at the ICML 2008 conference in Helsinki, Finland the day after Polaris' victory at the Second Man-Machine Poker Championship. This and two other recent papers related to Polaris, "Regret Minimization in Games with Incomplete Information" and "Computing Robust Counter-Strategies", have also been added to the Publications section.
|Match Number||Player||Amount Won||Player||Amount Won||Difference||Result|
|Remote 1||Matt Hawrilenko||+$199500||IJay Palansky||-$174000||+$25500||Humans Win|
|Remote 2||Nick Grudzien||-$2000||Kyle Hendon||-$118000||-$120000||Polaris Wins|
|Live 1||Nick Grudzien||-$42000||Kyle Hendon||+$37000||-$5000||Draw|
|Live 2||Rich McRoberts||+$89500||Victor Acosta||-$39500||+$50000||Humans Win|
|Live 3||Mark Newhouse||+$251500||IJay Palansky||-$307500||-$56000||Polaris Wins|
|Live 4||Matt Hawrilenko||-$60500||IJay Palansky||-$29000||-$89500||Polaris Wins|
- [July 2008] In dramatic fashion, Polaris wins the 2nd man-machine showdown with a record of 3-2-1. Polaris played against some of the best heads-up limit players in the world and came out on top with a decisive win against Matt "Hoss_TBF" Hawrilenko (left) and IJay "doughnutz" Palansky (right) in the final match. For more information on the match, please visit our man-machine page.
- [June 2008] The CPRG is proud to announce that they are once again taking on some of the world's best poker players in a man-machine showdown. In a partnership with www.stoxpoker.com, the CPRG will face off against some of the world's best online pros. Nick "stoxtrader" Grudzien, Matt "Hoss_TBF" Hawrilenko, and IJay "doughnutz" Palansky are so far slated to play against Polaris at the 2008 Gaming Life Expo in Las Vegas, July 3-6. More details for the match can be found on our man-machine webpage.
- [March 2008] Nolan's M.Sc. thesis has been added to the publications section. It investigates several techniques for opponent modelling in Kuhn poker.