Professor and Associate Chair Research
Email (in domain ualberta.ca): mmueller
Board Games Research, Summer 2015
High quality version of image (3.2 MB)
Activities and Interests
Teaching: Cmput 204 and 325 in Winter 2016
Research - main areas: Monte Carlo methods in game-tree search and planning;
massively parallel search; combinatorial game theory.
Publications of my research group,
and a few recent talks
We meet Fridays at 3pm in CSC 2-49.
Come join the club, and maybe you can go to the
ACM-ICPC world finals
too! In any case, you are guaranteed to have fun and learn a lot.
Where I have lived and my work experience.
My Blog and Press articles about our Computer Go research.
- Nov 23 - Dec 14: in Austria.
- Winter 2016: Teaching 204 and 325.
- March 2016: CS industry mixer event.
- Nov 12: Rick and Fan's paper
"On the Completeness of Best-First Search Variants that Use Random Exploration"
was accepted for AAAI-16. Congratulations!
- Nov 12: Our paper on "Factorization Ranking Model for Move Prediction in the Game of Go"
has been accepted for AAAI-16. Congratulations Chenjun!
- Nov 1+2: In Berkeley for a
combinatorial games workshop in honor of
Elwyn Berlekamp's 75th birthday.
- Sep 1: Welcome Chao Gao, new PhD student co-supervised by Ryan Hayward and myself.
- Aug 24 - Sep 5: In Taiwan, visiting
Prof. Wu and his group at NCTU,
my old friend
Prof. Kuo-yuan Kao
and the CIG conference in Tainan,
where I am giving a
about "Computer Go Research - The Challenges Ahead".
- Aug 11: Jacob and Andrew present their work at the poster sessions:
HIP Poster Session,
Thursday 3pm, 2nd floor CSC open area.
Undergraduate Summer Research Poster Session,
Friday, August 14th, 4:00 - 6:00 pm in CCIS PCL lounge.
- Jul 17: Summer research projects are in full swing.
- Jul 15: Associate Chair Research news: Preparations for NSERC discovery grants and RTI grants are starting.
- Jul 6: Jacob Ridgway is joining us as a
student for the next six weeks.
- Jul 5:
Our computer Hex research group's program
wins Gold in both 11x11 and 13x13 Hex at the Computer Olympiad. Congratulations Ryan!
- Jun 15: Yeqin's thesis
TDS+: Improving Temperature Discovery Search
is now online on the era archive.
- May 1: We have a great group of students doing board games research over the summer,
including undergrads Andrew Jacobsen and Yunpeng Tang.
- Apr 18: Fan Xie is starting an internship at Google Waterloo.
- Apr 2: Our paper
Continuous Arvand: Motion Planning with
Monte Carlo Random Walks
has been accepted as full paper for the
3rd ICAPS Workshop on Planning and Robotics (PlanRob 2015).
- Apr 1: My NSERC Discovery grant got renewed, with a nice increase. So happy!
- Feb and Mar: working on a first motion planning paper with Weifeng
- Feb 3: 50
- Jan 20: Our paper on "Understanding and Improving Local Exploration for GBFS"
has been accepted for ICAPS. Congratulations Fan and Rob!
- Jan: Yeqin is at AAAI presenting our TDS+ paper and
demo-ing Fuego at the
Artificial Intelligence Open House.
- Jan 5: teaching Cmput 204, Algorithms I, and Cmput 657,
Monte Carlo Methods in Games, Planning and Heuristic Search
Old news (up to 2014)
Created: Aug 7, 2000 Last modified: see above