- Congratulations to Sheila Schoepp who defended her MSc. thesis (Reinforcement Learning Algorithmic Adaptation to Machine Hardware Faults).
- Along with other colleagues in the department I am one of the 29 new receipients of the Canada CIFAR AI Chairs.
- I just served as external examiner at my first PhD defence of the year. It was in Tunisia for a PhD on dynamic graph mining. All remotely via teleconference.
- Congratulations to Andy Wong who defended his MSc. (Intelligent Machine Reliability with General Value Functions).
- Our paper "The Need for Medical Professionals to Join Patients in the Online Health Social Media Discourse" with Hamman Samuel and Fahim Hassan, has been accepted at the 14th International Conference on Health Informatics 2021.
- Congratulations to Hamman Samuel who defended his PhD. (On Trust, Privacy, and Misinformation in Health Social Media). He is now working for Electronic Art in Ontario.
- Our paper "A Domain Adaptation Multi-instance Learning for Diabetic Retinopathy Grading on Retinal Images" with my colleagues at NorthEastern University in China was accepted at IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine, BIBM'2020.
- Our paper " A Novel Machine Learning Approach to Predict Aboriginal Ethnicity Using Personal Names and Residence Locations in Canada" (with Kai Wong, Osmar R. Zaiane, Faith Davis, and Yutaka Yacuie)
has been accepted in PLOS One.
- Congratulations to Mohammad Motellebi who defended his MSc. (Explaining Decisions of Black-box Models using Association Rules). He is now working for Huawei in Ontario.
- I gave an invited keynote titled: "Associative Classifiers from Competitive Predictions to Explainable AI" at the African Conference on Research in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, that took place in Dakar, Senegal. Unfortunately I couldn't be there because of the pandemic and we did it by Video Conference.
- Congratulations to Mahdi Zafarmand who defended his MSc. (Community Detection and Discovery in Deterministic and Uncertain Networks). He is now a researcher at Amii working in the Meerkat project on Social network Analysis.
- Our paper "Graduate Attributes eAssessment Program" (with Samira ElAtia, Donald Ipperciel, Osmar R. Zaiane, Behdad Bakhshinategh, Patrick Thibaudeau)
has been accepted in International Journal of Information and Learning Technology.
- I gave an invited keynote at ML2R: The Competence Center Machine Learning Rhine-Ruhr in Dortmund, Germany. We had to do it by Video Conference.
- Congratulations to Anandh Konar who defended his MSc. (Conversational agent with common-sense: Responding to nonsensical statements). He is now a researcher at Amii working on Conversational agents.
- Congratulations to Nitakshi Sood who defended her MSc. (Building a Competitive Associative Classification Model). She has now joined NTWIST, a startup in Edmonton.
- Our paper "Hi-GCN: A hierarchical graph convolution network for graph embedding learning of brain network and brain disorders prediction" has been accepted in Computers in Biology and Medicine.