Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alberta in Artificial Intelligence
Applicants are sought for a postdoctoral position in the Department of Computing Science at the University of Alberta. The Department is ranked top 3 in the world in AI/ML according to csrankings.org.
The successful applicant will work in the research group of
Prof. Martin Müller.
This group studies exploration and learning in the context of heuristic search, with applications including two player games and domain-independent planning.
Applicants are expected to contribute to one or more of the following projects:
- Heuristic search and learning with imperfect domain models
- Integrating exact solution methods with Alpha Zero type architectures in two player games
- Evaluation of deep RL learning against exact solutions in two player games
- Utilizing state similarity in Monte Carlo Tree Search
- Efficient algorithms in combinatorial game theory
- Go Endgame Solver
For further information about these projects see
Qualifications for the ideal applicant include:
- A recently completed PhD (must be within the last 5 years) in Computing Science or similar area, specializing in a field related to one or more of the research topics above.
- A demonstrated strong ability in software development and implementation. For example, substantial contributions to open source projects.
- Strong mathematical and formal foundations
- A good command of written and oral English
- A research record of publication in top AI venues
- A record of leadership and teamwork in research
- Enthusiasm for expanding skill sets and knowledge
The contract is for one year initially, with the possibility of renewal. Depending on interest and ability, there is an option to contribute to teaching on the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
- A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements stated above. Non-specific applications will be discarded.
- An academic CV
- The names and email addresses of three references
- Two most representative research papers published in English in international venues (as pdf or web links)
- Deadline for applications: September 15, 2019
- Applications will be considered as they are received.
- Target start date: November 1, 2019
- Please send inquiries and applications to Prof. Müller,
mmueller in domain ualberta.ca .
- Your subject line must start with the term "DCAI-postdoc".
Created: Aug 12, 2019 Last modified: Aug 12, 2019