Citizens from the United States and many European countries do not require a visa to visit Canada.
Individuals requiring letters of invitation to obtain travel visas must register for the conference to receive an invitation letter. Please be advised that we can generally only provide letters for attendees who (i) are authors or co-authors of papers or posters to be presented at PACT 2014, and (ii) have successfully registered for the conference. If you need such a letter, please:
- Fill out the PACT 2014 Request for a Letter of Invitation form
- After successfully submitting the form, send an email to "pact14 [at] ualberta dot ca" with a brief notification message and the subject line "Visa for PACT 2014" so we can verify your email address
- Certain funds will be available to ACM SIGARCH student members and IEEE members only.
- We highly encourage all students to join SIGARCH, TCCA, and TCPP to be given higher priority (SIGARCH offers an online membership for $2).
- The exact number and amount of the awards will be determined based on the number of eligible applicants and the availability of funds. Due to limited travel funds, we anticipate providing support primarily for conference registrations.
Note: Travel grant applicants should not register for the conference until hearing the decision on their application.
How to Apply
Applicants must fill out the online application form (coming soon). If you have difficulties, please send an email to the Student Travel Grant Chair, Youtao Zhang.
Student applicants also need to ask their supervisor to confirm their student status by sending an email to the Student Travel Grant Chair, Youtao Zhang following these requirements:
- Subject: "Student Travel Status Confirmation for [Your-Last-Name, Your-First-Name]"
- In the body, your supervisor must state that you are a full-time student pursuing an M.Sc./Ph.D. or undergraduate research in the areas covered by PACT.
- The confirmation email must be received by the application deadline.
- Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive, we will NOT solicit letters from your advisors. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that your advisor sends the email before the deadline. No exception will be made for any reason.
Edmonton is a vibrant city. It is home to world-class festivals, fantastic shopping, delicious dining, top accommodations and our famous river valley – the largest stretch of urban parkland in North America!
Where to Stay
Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Standing high on the bank overlooking the largest urban parkway in North America, The North Saskatchewan River Valley, The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald's charm and classic elegance have made us Edmonton's place for every occasion, whether it be an Edmonton vacation or business trip, since 1915.
Our Edmonton hotel’s distinctive guestrooms are well-appointed with state-of-the-art amenities, while the elegant meeting rooms offer the perfect venue for large or small groups. This downtown Edmonton hotel is a short drive from Edmonton International Airport.
The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in Edmonton offers exquisite dining opportunities in The Harvest Room and The Confederation Lounge that will tempt your palate with Canadian-style dishes that boast many regional influences. Stroll through the splendid gardens or visit our well-equipped Macdonald Health Club for a workout.
Whether for business or pleasure, The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald has the attentive staff and luxurious accommodations to make your stay a graceful complement to the fun that abounds just outside our doors. A stay at the Chateau on the River offers easy walking access to many of the wonderful sites and experiences Edmonton has to offer.
- Conference rate of $209/night
- Reserve a room at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald (this link is for discounted conference rates)
Campus Tower Suite Hotel invites you to take advantage of staying in the heart of the thriving University of Alberta. Experience one of our 90 spacious suites and experience all the comforts of home! Our well equipped suites feature a relaxing, spacious living space, limited and full kitchenettes with dining area, work stations and complimentary wireless internet access as well as private bedrooms.
- Conference discounted rate for the Premium Suite Queen with a full kitchen (August 22-28, 2014)
- Reserve a room at Campus Tower (reference booking code ACT-GFC1634)
PACT 2014 will be held at the University of Alberta in the Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (CCIS) – a new, state-of-the-art facility bringing together research groups across the Faculty to facilitate collaboration and discovery.
From the Airport
- Express Bus Route 747: $5 cash one-way, from the airport to Century Park LRT (subway) station; from there you can take the LRT downtown or to the University (see Edmonton Transit information below)
- Car rentals: There are six car rental companies at the airport (Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National)
- SkyShuttle: $18 one-way, $30 round trip, from the airport to various hotels in Edmonton, trips must be booked in advance
- Taxi: $55 flat rate to downtown
To the Conference
Edmonton Transit System (ETS) includes bus and LRT (subway) service in the Edmonton area. Cash fare is $3.20 per way or $9 for a day pass. You can also purchase packs of 10 transit tickets for $24 at LRT stations and various grocery and convenience stores throughout the city.
Edmonton's Light Rail Transit (LRT) line has stations through downtown Edmonton and to the University.
- The closest station to the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald is Central. Take the train heading towards Century Park and get off at University Station.
Attractions and Entertainment
- Festivals: Edmonton hosts more than 30 festivals each year!
- River Valley: Edmonton has the largest stretch of urban parkland in North America with trails for walking and biking in the summer and cross country skiing and skating in the winter.
- Golf: There are more than 84 golf courses in Edmonton, with 17 hours of daylight mid-summer!
- West Edmonton Mall: This world famous attraction has more than 800 shops, 100 eateries, and 10 world-class attractions, all under one roof.
- Old Strathcona: This historic neighbourhood is one of Canada’s top shopping districts and offers a variety of dining and pubs. It is also a centre for music, art, and theatre.
- Fort Edmonton Park: Let the costumed interpreters take you back 150 years and experience the days of the fur trade and the pioneers!
- Edmonton Valley Zoo: Visit the home of more than 100 exotic, endangered and native species.
- TELUS World of Science Edmonton: Become part of a larger-than-life experience in IMAX®, take part in fun and informative science demonstrations and explore a changing selection of feature exhibitions.
- Muttart Conservatory: Enjoy plant life from around the world in these iconictrin pyramids housing four different climates.
- Downtown Arts District: Includes a breathtaking, new Art Gallery of Alberta, the Citadel Theatre and Francis Winspear Centre for Music.
Information from the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation.